Easy // 30 mins // 3 Quarts
It’s early summer. Time for a chock full of veggies cheesy cheese spread. Uber versatile, this spread is light because of all the veggies, sweet for the children if you use carrots as I did & (we show its potential in our Stuffed recipe this week.)
- 1 Onion, 1/4 moon slices
- 1 1/2 Tbs EVOO
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs Dark Sherry, Rum or Balsamic
- 3 Quarts Harvest Vegetables (I used carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, grated & thinly sliced green beans)
- 1 1/2 Cups Favorite Salad Dressing (I used red wine honey Dijon)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 16 Ounces Cream Cheese, room temp
- 2 Cups Yogurt
- 3 1/2 Cups Favorite Grated Cheeses
- Optional Additions
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Tsp Ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs Dry Herbs (I used Herbs de Provance)
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Herbs (I used basil blossoms)
- 1-2 Fresh Citrus, juice & zest
Saute the onion in the oil, pepper & rum until lightly caramelized, about 5 mins. Add in the veggies, favorite salad dressing & salt & cook on high heat for 15 mins until all the liquid is reduced down. Turn the heat down to medium, to make sure it doesn’t scorch and cook for about 5 mins more until it’s nice and dry.
Let cool slightly. Add in the cheeses & yogurt. Use two forks to scrape the cream cheese into small bits. The heat from the vegetables will melt the rest.
Stir in any optional ingredients, pack into containers & chill well. HARVEST HACK :> This is a great recipe to add some of those ingredients you’re not sure you adore just yet. I added 2 or 3 minced radishes. They disappear into the overall cheesy goodness, but gently seduce your taste buds behind the scenes.
Check out the HARVEST VEGETABLES STUFFED recipe this week for how to use the CHEESY SPREAD to stuff a HARVEST BUFFET. PLUS use this spread for grilled cheese, stuffing yams & spuds and at least 10K other uses. This spread can be made dairy free easily using your fav alternates. Post your versions & creations all over Hungry Harvest social media.