26 ways to use up onions!
Backed up on onions? Have no fear, we're here to help! #NoTears #DontCry
Sooooo, here's the backstory: one of our heroes got back on up onions. 26 onions to be exact (her picture is above).
Hungry Harvest Heroes to the rescue! We rallied our team, our Recipe Club, and others in the Hungry Harvest family to compile a list of 26 ways to use up onions! Here they are below!
- "Well, you can chop them, freeze in one layer on a cookie sheet and then store in freezer bags. They are then recipe ready!" (submitted by Trish)
- Onion Jam (submitted by Pamela)
- Onion Pasta (submitted by Stephanie)
- French Onion Soup (submitted by Marie)
- Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe (submitted by Susan)
- "Carmelized onions are amazing on anything and keep well in the refrigerator" (submitted by Gayle)
- I made ratatouille using a few onions and other Hungry Harvest veggies. Maybe an onion frittata would be good? I, too, have excess onions! (submitted by Melanie)
- French onion soup! "Slowly caramelize 6-8 onions with a little butter, salt, pepper for 30-40 minutes in frying pan on medium-low. Once deeply browned, add to 4 cups beef broth, 1 cup red wine, 1 ounce brandy, pinch of thyme, sage and a bay leaf. Cook on low for 30 minutes to cook off alcohol. Remove bay leaf and serve in a bowl topped with a piece of toasted French bread and Swiss cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Eat!" (submitted by Lori)
- Easy Onion Jam (submitted by Charlene)
- Fajitas! (submitted by Lena)
- Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings (submitted by Stephanie)
- Cucumber Chicken Roll-Ups (submitted by Stephanie)
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions "In the winter I caramelize a huge batch in my crockpot. Then I freeze in freezer bags and have the harder part of French onion soup completed for a cold day" (submitted by Amanda)
- Grill 'em up!
- Rub some onion onto a mild burn to soothe the pain
- Need to remove a splinter? Cut up a small piece of an onion, tape it to your skin and pull it off after an hour!
- Give them away to friends, family and neighbors
- Mac N Cheese + caramelized onions = yessssss
- Grilled cheese + onions + jalapenos = Flavortown
- Pickle 'em up!
- Onion Rings
- Onion Ring Eggs
- Pickle 'em
- Store 'em in the fridge (they will last 1-2 months in there!)
- Check out our recipes by Chef Mark that use onions!
- Log into your account, put onions on your "never list" temporarily (so that way we won't put them into your box) and remove it from that list when you're ready to get onions again!